Monday 28 February 2011

Titanic Fandom

Let's face it; almost everybody on the planet has heard of Titanic. While many can tell you the basics (Ship+Iceberg=Sink) it's rare that one can come up with something alittle more indepth on the subject.

I'll admit it; I am a Titanic nut.

When I was five, my mom came into my room holding up a magazine article with a picture of the ship. After glancing at the title, "Titanic: Death of a Dream" I was hooked. What was its' story? What happened? Who? Why? How? Every question began to pop into my head. Soon enough, James Cameron's blockbuster movie came out and I was there opening night. To tell you the truth, all I can remember from the first time is the eerie glow of green from the lights beneath the water, but after seeing it a second time something new awoke within me.

At the age of ten, I knew more about it than most adults. The dimensions, certain passenger accounts, the aftermath, the legacy... everything was as familiar to me as the back of my hand. The books I had and documentaries I saw were not enough anymore. I could draw that ship from almost any angle and I couldn't stop dreaming about the ship and all her glory. The strangest part about this? I don't know what drew my fascination. I stopped asking "Why this ship?" or "What could have been done differently?". No matter how you slice it, I can say without a doubt that it needed to happen. Because of the sinking, ocean liners became better equip for disaster and many ships were redesigned to eradicate Titanic's architectural defects.

I started to read more and watch ever documentary that I could get my hands on. Now, fifteen years after I first heard Titanic's name, I have seen every film ever made, every documentary ever done, and almost every book about it written in the English language. I know alot, but it is probably paled in comparison by historians like Ken Marshall, Don Lynch, Robert Ballard, and James Cameron. But still, it has taken nearly that long to discover why I'm attracted to it.

It's because of the mysteries that can never be solved; what REALLY happened that night?

Of course it hit and iceberg and sank, taking over fifteen-hundred people to their graves, but what evens occurred that night?

What songs did the band play? What was really on the captains mind? What happened to Thomas Andrews, the Captain, the band members and the countless others of fame on board? How many third class passengers were trapped down below in the labyrinth of corridors? When did the ship break in two? Were the passengers caught off guard? When did the chaos and panic really begin?

If I could have any wish, it would be to live out that night from every possible viewpoint. I would never dream of stopping it, but uncovering everything that happened leading up to the Carpathia's arrival. At this point, I can say with certainty that I have learned as much as I can from any movie or book. While there is alot to know, the important stuff is all that matters. I, like many, will never let the legend of that fateful night die. While         the ship is now wasting away at the bottom of the sea, I still glance at my clock at 2:20 AM and take a breath know that on that night the brightest light of that era suddenly went out along with the hopes and dreams of thousands.

Am I exaggerating? Maybe. Am I obsessed? Absolutely.

I can't help but wonder if I'll ever know the secrets of that disaster, but I know I'll never stop trying to find out. The Titanic echoes within me, and it is the main reason I got into History (In my opinion; the study of man's greatest strengths and weaknesses).

That's pretty much all I've got, but if there are any other enthusiasts reading this, let me give you some really good documentaries, films and books along  with some reasons;


  • Documentaries:
    • A&E Special: Death of a Dream and The Legend Lives On
      • Probably the most thorough documentary I've ever seen with interviews with several of the world's leading Titanic historians.
    • Ghosts of the Abyss
      • This is one of my favourites because it goes very deep into the wreck of the ship and digitally reconstructs many of the nicest rooms on board. Along with that, as the title suggests, you are often shown clips of ghost like figures walking on the deck of the wreck, as if that's where they will be for eternity
    • Secrets of the Titanic
      • National Geographic always makes good documentaries. While it is older, it talks alot about the ship's discovery and the emotional impact on the crew.
  • Movies:
    • Titanic (1997):
      • For the main reason that it's the most in-depth film about the ship. They built a to-scale version of the ship and reconstructed many of the rooms from the actual ship. If the love story turns you off; skip it. The sinking is the best rendition I've seen in a movie.
    • A Night to Remember (1948):
      • Probably the most historically accurate film due to the amount of research author Walter Lord put into writing the novel upon which the movie was based. The music is alright and the acting is somewhat terrible, the overall disaster is captured beautifully. Note: It's in black and white.
    • Titanic (1996):
      • Only on the list because it provides a unique look at the lives of the passengers from all different walks of life. There isn't much historical accuracy behind it and they gloss over the final plunge, but the drama is incredible. Who knows, you might like it.
  • Books:
    • Titanic: An Illustrated History (Ken Marshall/Don Lynch)
    • Report on the S.S. Titanic (The Official Government Inquiry)
    • Titanic: Wall Charts
If you watch/read those, you'll get pretty much everything you need to out of it.

For now, that's everything, but who knows; maybe something new will come up and blow me out of the water. In the meantime, readers, keep on truckin.

No comments:

Post a Comment